Saturday 16 June 2018

Delay

13/06
So I was going away. But then the weather did what it has a knack for - something inconvenient. After weeks of mostly settled, warm, dry weather, an intense storm is due to blast through tomorrow morning. Things I could have left in my absence - pots and trays, but also the greenhouse - needed to be secured. So I've put off going for a few more days, because this year I will not be thwarted.

~~~

14/06
So the storm has come and largely gone. Little damage, thankfully. The trees were whipped about, and at this time of year when they are fully clothed, they can more easily be brought down by a gale, but we were lucky. The greenhouse was about the most solid thing in the garden as it turned out - partly because I bit the bullet and did what I had been putting off, namely fixing the base down to the platform beneath. I have a mild aversion to certain things, and drilling through metal and masonry is not a favourite activity, but it had to be done eventually, and I wanted the structure to have a good chance. In fact, the sheer weight of the glazing holds it down for the most part, but this was insurance (and prevents the whole thing shifting). Now I've started, it's less daunting, and I'll finish soon.

The greenhouse was warm and calm today, while outside it was cool and violently blustery. I've moved more plants in already than can live there permanently, but it was a wise choice. Although many tomatoes I sowed and potted on haven't thrived, I have enough plants now to get a good crop even if no more are useable. Ditto chillies, peppers, and aubergines. Melons and cucumbers, I'm not sure about, and the okra have sulked since I potted them on a few weeks ago.

I also took delivery today of a new thing - coir. I have consumed hundreds of litres of compost in the last few weeks - various types, though I try to avoid peat-based ones as those are environmentally damaging. Coir is useful as an alternative, and has the great advantage of being sold in dry, compressed blocks. I got three today, just to see - each one is 5kg and rehydrates to approximately 70 litres. I will mix it with well-rotted horse manure, which I've been using neat but leaves a bit to be desired, especially with regard to its texture, and some chicken manure/seaweed pellets as fertiliser, as I have them lying around. The tomatoes may do fine in this, but I'll use at least one other medium for some plants, just to hedge my bets.

~~~

15/06
Still blustery, cool, and largely grey today. The greenhouse seems perennially warm though, which is great. It shouldn't surprise me, but it does. I've started putting the planting medium down (the perimeter base is much higher than the internal ground surface - between four and ten inches - and the difference will be made up with whatever good stuff I can obtain). To start with I'm trying a mix as outlined above of about 40% coir, 60% manure, with seaweed fertiliser pellets for extra oomph. I'll also probably cut and lay some nettle and comfrey leaves around, to break down as a slow release nutrient source. The first plant has gone in, too - an aubergine. I'm using twine supports buried under each plant and tied to the roof trusses, although the positioning of the latter may mean I need canes for some plants too. It'll be a learning process this year - what works in *this* greenhouse. I've plenty of plants to fill the place, it's just a matter of keeping them happy now.

I leave tomorrow, for the best part of a week. I hope most things survive okay. The weather looks mixed, which is ideal - too much hot sun would dry everything out (although I'm watering as thoroughly as possible before I go), and wind would be unwelcome. But sunny spells and showers - more typical June weather - would be perfect for once.

~~~

16/06
It rained heavily this morning, so I needn't have worried about outdoor watering. I soaked the plants under cover - some really should be in their final positions by now, but they'll just have to wait.

Harvests:
13/06 - 40g spinach, 15g spinach beet
15/06 - 150g lettuce
16/06 - ~50g strawberries*
YTD total: 1.195kg

*not weighed, so estimated (two largish fruits, three small ones).

No comments: